My Tween and Me Leader Training: November 2022
Monday, November 14, 2022 - Wednesday, November 16, 2022
9:30 AM - 4 PM
Strive Living Society, Tonnar Brace Room
#500-4370 Dominion St. ,
My Tween and Me is a parenting program for families with children aged 7-12 years.
Our 15-hour training is newly revised to provide family service professionals with practical strategies and techniques that are flexible and adaptive in promoting positive youth development for tweens as they transition into adolescence and early adulthood.
Learn new facilitation skills to engage both parents and their tweens in our innovative curriculum that goes beyond parent education to promote strong family relationships and positive youth development for children aged 7-12 as they move through the critical transition from childhood to adolescence.
Learn how to help parents:
- Strengthen their pre-teen’s self-confidence, esteem and worth
- Positively influence their pre-teen’s choices, values and goals
- Support their tweens in making healthy decisions
The training centers around five core topics:
- Healthy development of children age 7 – 12
- Life at school as a pre-teen
- Building strong family relationships
- Encouraging strong peer relationships
- Exploring today’s pre-teen world and building community
For more information about the program model - that engages and empowers both parents and tweens in group support - as well as detail about specific facilitation skills developed through the training, please look at our My Tween and Me program brochure.
Dates and Times (PST)
- November 14 & 15 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- November 16 9:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
About the Facilitator
Kerry Watts has spent over 20 years working with children, youth, families and communities in a variety of roles. She currently works as a community development consultant and facilitator. Kerry is passionate about building strong and resilient communities and supporting parents from preconception to adolescence and beyond. She lives on the Sunshine Coast with her family.
- “Great activity ideas”
- “Relevant information, interesting and needed for this age group”
- “This training will help with my day to day work by providing a new lens for the tween years and views”
- “[Provides] strategies to approach uncomfortable topics with parents and tweens”
- “Easy, straight forward lesson plans that are effective”
- “I learned additional information surrounding tween cognitive, social-emotional, psychological and physiological changes which will benefit me in my line of work”
This training is not guaranteed to run. We need a minimum number of participants.
This training is not guaranteed to take place in-person. The BC Council for Families is following all provincial health directives and is monitoring the health situation closely. Should the situation change, this training may need to take place virtually instead. We do not recommend booking non-refundable or exchangeable travel.