Alliance of Professionals Serving Young Parents Conference 2022
Friday, October 21, 2022 - Saturday, October 22, 2022
9 AM - 8 PM
2075 West Mall ,
Reconnect and Replenish: Invigorating Young Parent Programs
Join us for the only conference of its kind in BC that provides learning and connecting opportunities specifically for professionals in young parent programs. The theme of this year's conference is “Reconnect and Replenish: Invigorating Young Parent Programs,” and it will offer up to 10 hours of professional development for accreditation.
We would like to thank the ECE Pro D Bursary for helping to fund this opportunity!
Highlights of Conference
- Keynote by Trevor Stokes, Teacher at the Streetfront Alternative School Program
- Running for Their Lives | Trevor Stokes | TEDxWestVancouverED
- Territory welcome by Shane Pointe, Musqueam Elder
- Interactive dialogue with Ministry of Education and Child Care staff
- 2 workshops on anxiety: one about anxiety in young children and one about youth with Karlie LeClaire, Master of Counselling, of the LEAP Clinic
- Workshop on grief and loss with Jodie McDonald, MSW
- Workshops to support positive practices with infants and toddlers with Ward Nakata, ECE (past Board Director with ECEBC)
- Workshop on trauma-aware communication with Kate Toye, Certified Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner (through Gabor Mate)
- Session to share ideas about supporting young parents
- Tour of UBC child care programs
- Friday evening gathering: connect with your team and other YPP staff from around BC
When: Friday, October 21st 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM and Saturday, October 22nd 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Where: UBC, mainly in the Ponderosa Building, 2075 West Mall, Vancouver, BC V9P 2E3
Conference registration rate for 2 days: $55 until September 15, then increases to $75.
Included in conference rate:
- All workshops and keynote speaker
- Friday evening gathering with food
- Afternoon refreshments on Friday
- Morning refreshments and lunch on Saturday
- Parking is not included in the conference rate.
- Registration for workshops will happen at a later date
At UBC in Gage Suites (about a 15-minute walk to conference meeting rooms). A block of rooms is on hold for two nights, Thursday, October 20, and Friday, October 21. Rooms can be booked at the same rate (based on room availability) for Saturday, October 22.
- Reservations need to be booked by September 20 after which the block will be released. Reservations are to be made either online via UBC’s secure reservation web page (visit https://reserve.
suitesatubc.com/vancouver/ availability.asp?hotelCode=% 2A&startDate=10%2F21%2F2022& endDate=10%2F22%2F2022&adults= 1&children=&rooms=1& requesttype=invBlockCode&code= G220820B%20), by calling the UBC Reservations Office at (604) 822-1000, Ext. 3, or calling toll free at 1-888-822-1030. Guests must identify themselves as part of the Alliance of Professionals Serving Young Parent Conference 2022 group in order to receive the group rate when calling.
- 2 types of suites are available:
- Queen Signature Studio (Sleeps up to 2) $135/night plus tax: One queen bed, fully-equipped kitchen, private bathroom, complimentary coffee, wireless internet
- West Coast King Suite (Sleeps up to 4) $185/night plus tax, based on double occupancy ($25 extra per person above 2 people): One bedroom with king-size bed, fully-equipped kitchen (stovetop, no oven), small living room with pull-out queen sofa bed, complimentary coffee, wireless internet
Limited travel bursaries are available for childcare providers who live outside of the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley. Please contact Jennifer Westoby at firstname.lastname@example.org for the bursary application form.